Friday, March 27, 2020

Sewers Under Kasprah – Gold & Hybrid

The final stretch! Here are all the gold and hybrid cards!

Fading Survivor, Spell Fisher, Overgrown Crocodile, Heartening Guide, Freakish Feral
Click to read.
These five hybrids were some of the first I designed. I wanted to make a cycle of cards that show of two of the new mechanics each, and both mechanics had to fit in either color of the hybrid. Each are rare creatures that cost 2CC.

Fading Survivor is unblockable, so the Plunge trigger is inevitable. Spell Fisher is for the Instant & Sorcery deck. Heartening Guide was made for the Enchantment deck.

Vermillion Light, Venemous Rat, Vexing Narcosis, Vicious Survivalist, Versed Manataur

After coming up with those hybrids, I came up with gold uncommons. Each of these uncommons begins with a V, only costs two mana, and represent the color pairs that were not represented in the first set of hybrids (therefore, the two colors, I think, do not have two mechanics to go with them). Originally, each of these was common, and cost 1 generic mana extra.

Four of them act as removal. I kind wish I had figured out a Simic removal for the last one. Oh, well.

Battle Stance; Enraged Homunculus; Refulgent Armor; Muck Mole; Strength from the Waters; Ubrak, Kasprah Kingpin

After coming up with all of the previous gold and hybrids, I had some ideas that worked best as gold cards, though they never quite reached a new gold cycle. I've got an extra white and am missing a black. Booooo.

Enraged Humonuculus is kind of the opposite of an Instant/Sorcery archetype, which I might find interesting to try. Imagine if I flipped archetypes on their head, so as to find ways of making them in unlikely color pairs?

Refulgent Armor is another technically colorless artifact, but since both activated abilities require a color, I consider this a gold card. You could use it in a deck that is only one of the colors for only one of the effects, if you like.

Muck Mole goes heavy in the Drain & lifegain decks, and I looked to Dread Presence for inspiration.

The final card is our Planeswalker, Ubrak. I decided for the storyline that he might be a Planeswalker who found himself on Kasprah and decided to wreak havoc, leading a rebellion to sow chaos. I picture him as an orc that looks similar to Dire Fleet Captain in art. His first ability (+1) gives you Flush for free, and fuels his second ability (-3) as removal. His last ability (-4) is simple land destruction, and therefore not particularly an ultimate, per se, but I liked the flavor of Ubrak wanting so much choas and destruction that he's destroying the sewers entirely. Besides, it is flavorfully similar to a mean Burst: instead of blowing up your own lands, you blow up your opponent's (though, of course, they get no value from it).

So that's all the cards I came up with on this first round. Not quite enough for a full set, but now I'll be refining and reworking the concepts and settle on some archtypes. I also have been wanting to make a set with a flavor of old-school Magic (because everything I do is nostalgic, apparently), so the next round of cards will probably have the old style card frame. Which also means I'm probably not going to have new card types, like Planeswalkers, and possibly no equipment or vehicles. We'll see how it all works out. I do like the look of old frame hybrids, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment