Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Sewers Under Kasprah – Extra White

Now we've mostly finished with cards about the new mechanics, but there always have to be a few simpler spells. Some of these I won't have too much to talk about.

Fallback Plan, Triptrap Survivor, Flawless Training, Swift Survivor, Rapid Reinforcements, Inescapable Trap
Click to enlarge.
Fallback Plan is a good way to save a creature from combat, however, it sort of acts as a Backup payoff, because this would only work onyour own creatures if they had Vigilnce or were targeted for Backup, so they could tap. If you target an opponent's creature with this (a plan I didn't realize was possible until I looked at the card just now), you could tap it down during the Begin Combat step, making it effectively super cheap removal. I gotta pay attention to those interactions in the future. I should probably have made Fallback Plan more expensive, or made it say "Enchant creature you control"...

Inescapable Trap is a much more fun spell to me. It's an O-Ring, but once you've taken an opponent's creature with it, they can pay eight mana to get it out. Inescapable, you say?

Bucolic Homunculus, Grounding Wire, Purger's Ward, Exit Strategy

Bucolic Homunculus (oops, spelled it wrong in the title) is an Enchantment payoff for the Green/White Enchantment deck (though again, I'm reconsidering that since it's not interesting to me).

Grounding Wire is the first white Artifact, to go with red's Chainbomb from before. In this set, there are a few colored artifacts, in particular giving Red/White an equipment theme (once again rethinking that). Grounding Wire lets you protect your creatures from damage, but it's not really a splashable card because the activated ability on it uses only white mana. There is something so cool about the look of colored artifacts...

Exit Strategy lets you return creatures to your hand, but only at sorcery speed, so this is not like Fallback Plan. This is more for a blink deck, which would be interesting to make White/Blue be a blink shenanigans deck.

Speaking of White/Blue, something I've never gotten around to mentioning is that there are no fliers in this set. I considered Bats for flying and Spiders for reach, but ultimately I stayed away from all of that in favor of pushing forward the other new mechanics. This meant it was tough for White to not have as many combat manuevers (flying and, for the most part, vigilance), which presented quite the challenge for coming up with white cards. I had also considered earlier on to have Swimming be a mechanic, which is literally just Flying but likely moved to be heavier on Blue/Black. I ended up trashing that when I settled on the three-color mechanics.

No comments:

Post a Comment