Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dominion: Will of Ra #2

After coming up with the new Curses, I decided to try for something similar, but with more pleasant cards.  I always like the Knights from Dominion: Dark Ages, but even better were the Prizes and Tournament from Dominion: Cornucopia.  These cards are my take on the Tournament concept, with the more random nature of Knights (or my new Curses).

I did not make those names up.
A Canopic Chest is just one Kingdom Card you can buy if you have the money, so it's like the Tournament card, while the other five are like the Prizes.  The other five cards -- Canopic Jars -- are shuffled together, two each, and placed in a facedown pile, similar to how I changed the Curses, so when you gain a Canopic Jar, you don't know which one you're getting.  My hope is that the rules for Canopic Chest make getting a Canopic Jar rare enough.

The four main Canopic Jars can be pretty powerful, though they may be slightly unbalanced.  This is partly intentional, to make the reward a little dependant on fate (or the will of Ra... hence the title of the expansion).  There's also a couple of Empty Jars thrown in, too, so you might get only what amounts to a Copper.  I'm thinking that if players who play Canopic Chest too frequently, then I'll add more Empty Jars to the pile to balance things.

No comments:

Post a Comment