Friday, July 4, 2014

Dev Log: Horror Text Adventure #54

Did a bit more visual work, making the splash screen readable, and for that matter functional (so you can quit or enter the game by pressing "q" or "e", respectively).  Then I looked up how to auto-maximize the window, and lock out the maximize option in the upper-right corner.  I keep the minimize and exit buttons available, and I don't completely fullscreen the game, because the X is especially useful when it hangs, so I want the player to be able to quit without needing to do a three-finger salute.

Latchkey title screen, again
Wider ratio than it needs to be, just because of my own monitor's dimensions.  Should fit on 1024x768 and up... but maybe not...
Now I have to really sit down and try to figure out command functions.  I'm really wondering if it makes any sense to go through verbs.  Granted, there will always be a verb in a sentence, but there won't always be a noun.  I was thinking of taking all the verb functions found in the Interface class and putting them in the appropriate item or barrier classes, and only keep stuff in the Interface class that isn't directly related to a noun.  But I'd have to restructure the return values and other stuff.  The good news is that the Interface class won't be completely clogged with verb functions, and won't be massive.

So I've started doing that.  I bet it'll be a bit of a process and many things will break along the way, but it's probably best if I get it done sooner, so I don't have ten million more verbs that need to be moved.

No comments:

Post a Comment