Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Dominion: Industry #3

Here are the last four cards that I came up with in my initial run of this expansion, when I was calling it "Black Gold".  These are odds and ends to round out the expansion.  I had also briefly considered a mechanical theme that "messed with other players' minds", and this is the remnants of that idea.

Land Run, Shrewd Merchant, Tariff, and Textiles
No more steampunk theme.  Click to enlarge.
Land Run is kind of fun.  With the theme of messing with other players, giving each player an Estate sounds generous, except that all it really does is clog their hands and ultimately puts the player who plays Land Run two points ahead, since they gain a Duchy instead.

Shrewd Merchant was a bit of a task; I wanted it originally in some way to be an attack card, forcing other players to swap out their cards, but I think this might work out better.  It also goes better with the Market/Peddler/etc. theme from other Dominion games.

Tariff is essentially Embargo from Dominion: Seaside.  The main difference is that it raises the price of a supply pile, rather than giving players curses.  I found that adding a curse makes most players avoid the pile completely, which is certainly an effect the original player of Embargo wants, but it seemed a little too harsh.  So this is my way of making it not as bad.  The player still has to decide if it's worth it to get a particularly high-priced card when they can now afford better cards.  Why pay $4 for a card that should be $3 when there are other (usually better) actual $4 cards in the supply?

Textiles wraps up the set; nothing too special about it.  This one, again, is like Mining Village from Dominion: Intrigue (I didn't even realize it when I made the card).  But what I like about it is that if you do trash it, it's ultimately +$3 because of the initial +$1.  That's a much better advantage.  I think most people don't trash Mining Village unless it's late game, because Village-type cards are so important, but with Textiles, I think the opportunity will arise more often where you choose to trash it for the extra money.  In that way, it should be about as useful as Moneylender from vanilla Dominion; you'll probably only buy Textiles if it's going to be a big part of your strategy.

3 comments:

  1. Tariff needs to cost more because there are alternative uses for it. Imagine playing a tariff on "Band of Misfits". Now the card can be played as anything costing $5 or below, and that is with only one tariff token.

    If you buy a lot of one pile and then tariff it multiple time then you can remodel it having not spent much.

    Great card but should cost at least $4

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... Perhaps it requires a rewording to say that Tariff Tokens only come into effect when buying, but if it's in your hand, it has the default cost. So it only affects purchasing. That was my initial intent. I gave Tariff a cost of two initially because it's so similar to Embargo, which also costs 2. Should I reword the card itself to include that disclaimer somehow, or would putting that extra in the errata be enough?

      Delete
    2. Also, thanks for the comment! Glad to know I've got readers :p

      Delete