Friday, January 10, 2014

Dev Log: Horror Text Adventure #34

Cleanup.  Used the Vector Push function instead of manually adding to the length of Vectors for items and other stuff.  For some reason I always forget that Vectors and Arrays have nice functions for me to use, so I make my own.  I have a wheel and I must remake it in my own image.

I also went back and forth on how to do proper inheritance.  At first I made a hodgepodge of private and protected variables, then I made them all private with protected functions to set them, but then I thought that was just completely silly and made those variables protected and removed the "set" functions that weren't necessary.  So now I'm basically back to how it was, with protected variables when the subclasses need to modify them, and private variables when they don't matter.  But if a variable can be private, then I figure I must be messing something up, because it's unnecessary, I would think.  So as I code, I'll change private vars to protected vars when I use them, and if I never use them at some point, I'll have to deem them redundant and delete them.

I also did a quick test on the write create/write function for the player file, so now it saves the player's name.  The much tougher thing to do will be to save the map, which is unique to each player, and I'll need to save 365 rooms, plus every object in each room, plus whatever else there may be that deals with that.  I would like to be able to simply write an entire class instance to a file and load it back, so I'm going to do a little more research before manually writing up every variable.

No comments:

Post a Comment