Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Dominion: Industry #1

So I threw together a small expansion to Dominion with twelve cards.  There isn't too much of a mechanical theme, at least nothing that ties most cards together, though a few cards have ties, which are some of the cards I'll start with.

Cards called Oil, Pipelione, Railroad, and Tycoon.
Oil & related cards. Click to enlarge.
Oil is similar to Spoils from Dominion: Dark Ages.  Its only difference is that it acts as a one-time Silver, rather than a one-time Gold.  I've been contemplating an Oil concept for a while, trying to come up with something perhaps using tokens, or a treasure that acts like Potions from Dominion: Alchemy, but those concepts never worked out.  The flaw of Dominion: Alchemy is in its use of Potions in the first place, so it would not be a good idea to copy it.  Also, I had already tried a token concept with the Charms in my other expansion Dominion: After Dark.  I think that here, simpler is better, and what I've got for now is a proven concept.

The next three cards, Pipeline, Railroad, and Tycoon, are pretty simple, but build off the Oil card.  Nothing too complex to go into detail about.  However, you might wonder why Pipeline puts an Oil card into your hand instead of just giving +$2.  This will usually amount to the same thing, but it is also possible that you might not want to spend that Oil immediately, so it just gets discarded rather than going back into the Oil pile.

The visual theme is the industrial revolution.  I've also been considering such a concept for a while, trying to think of an interesting mechanical theme to go with it, though, as I've said, nothing too intricate has come of it.  So instead, I've opted for making a smaller expansion, that is more vanilla in mechanics, but nonetheless provides more variety in cards.  Perhaps later I'll make this into a full-sized expansion, and the rest of the cards will help expound on a new mechanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment