Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Dominion: Industry #2

I got a burst of inspiration and came up with a new mechanic for the expansion.  Since the expansion no longer revolves around the Oil card, I've renamed this expansion from Black Gold to Industry.  I'll get into the new over-arching mechanic later, but first I'll show more of the cards that I had originally come up with, before I came up with the new mechanic.

Getting a Steampunk vibe now.  Click to expand.
Automaton is similar in nature to Hunchback from my expansion Dominion: After Dark, which was very useful and fun, combined with Navigator and Lookout from Dominion: Seaside.  This might be a particularly powerful card after testing, so I'll see if it needs to cost 6 instead of 5.

Clockwork is a bit like Pirate Ship from Dominion: Seaside, with a mat and accumulating tokens, but ultimately I got the idea more directly from the Tick-Tock race in Cosmic Encounter.  Basically Clockwork allows you to slowly gain money tokens, which you can then trade in when you feel like it.  So it deviates from Pirate Ship in that the money goes away after one use, but it's also guaranteed, rather than being an attack and having a chance of failing.  But also, to combat spamming of it, you can only play it once per turn.  Hopefully that makes it worth getting, but not overpowered.  Also, it's not +$ in addition to your normal money, but instead is a separate card to gain.  So if you wanted a Province, you'd have to save up eight Clockwork Tokens, and you couldn't just save up five and use $3 from your hand to buy with.  That's one of the reasons I called them "Clockwork Tokens" rather than just standard treasure tokens: the player knows they're unique and won't confuse them for additional money during the buy phase.  That, and I imagine cool little gears as tokens.  Of course, if you play with this, use anything for tokens and mats that aren't confusing, like pennies or something.

Oil Field and Steel Town are pretty simple, and not worth getting into too much detail over.  Oil Field builds on the Oil card theme that I showed in the last post.  Steel Town is a Village-type card that may be trashed, similar to Mining Village from Dominion: Intrigue.

No comments:

Post a Comment