Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Development Log: DOOM Monthathon #4


I finished building the sewer section to alpha, and added a few details to make the section more interesting.

Tripled-sized closets, for all your sewer gardening needs!
There are now many more storage rooms, which I'll use as places for bonus items.

Looks silly now, but I'll think of something more creative later.
I've also added a couple of platforms and ladders that allow the player to climb out of the acid if they fall in.

Behold: the visual that really doesn't explain much.
After the sewers, I worked on the room that changes shape, which you can see in the map above, to the right.  There is a main circular corridor, and all the rest of the rooms are opened by flipping a switch.

You can see what was opened up by the outline on the ceiling, and the door tracks on the walls.
The inspiration for the room is partly from the room where the chainsaw is in E1M5 of the original DOOM, and partly a level from a game called Curse of the Catacombs/Catacomb Armageddon (the greatest game made with the Wolfenstein 3D Engine).

The part with the changing room is actually the third section, and so I'll work on the section between the sewer and that next, which is how you get the yellow key.

I may or may not leave the yellow key there.
I'm thinking of having the teleporter go from the stairwell to an outdoor area which will preview the final area.  The player will probably find himself in a cage like a zoo attraction, although I'm not sure yet, so I'll solidify the idea for the next update.

No comments:

Post a Comment