Friday, March 9, 2012

Development Log: DOOM Monthathon #3



So I've begun building the level.  Normally I would sketch the level on paper first, make a clean (readable) version in Inkscape or similar, and then start with the actual building of the level.

But I've decided to take a different approach.  This time I've decided to only put sketches of individual ideas down on paper, then get right in the editor.  I'm seeing if the drawn maps actually helps with clarity, or if it can be cut out of the process.  Also, since I'm only giving myself a month to do it, I have to get to it quickly.


So I began by working on the main stair room.  I decided the blocking of higher floors was not that necessary, and could be accomplished with locked doors.  Sometimes the more creative approach is just more convoluted.

Then I began worked backwards, creating the sewers, which takes up most of the map shown above.

As I create it, I've decided that teleports will be used sparingly, only to prevent the player from crisscrossing too much.

The player begins in room A.

More boxes in the storage closet to come.
The player finds that the door that's between room A and C (circled) is blocked, so the player must hug the wall and take the long route around to room C, and then emerge on the other wall across from room A.  The player can then reach room B, where the blue key is.

All art placeholder, I promise.
There will also be a teleport in room B to hop back to room C so the player doesn't have to backtrack all the way around Robin Hood's barn.

Next update, I expect that the sewer section should be alpha complete, and I'll start on the next section.

No comments:

Post a Comment