Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Dev Log: Horror Text Adventure #40

I've now started the process of making the static locations where players can meet.  I'm starting with the school that I drew up in Part 6.  I've added some basic room types for offices, dining halls, kitchens, gyms, libraries, classrooms, bathrooms, and closets.  Then I added a counter barrier type, which is basically a window (though eventually the window will have an open/close ability, as well as possibly lock and break, while the counter will have none of those).

Map of School
To reiterate.  Although code and drawings are two dastardly different things.
After that I began the long process of adding each individual room and barrier.  I'm sure they're also a much shorter way to get it done, but I did manage to cut it down substantially twice by adding a couple of simple functions (and I found a redundant one to get rid of).  If I hadn't done so, those sections would have been six times as long.  I think I should be able to make a way to connect rooms and their barriers at once, but for now that task is out of the way so I may worry about it on the next common area.

I think this is part of the kick I needed to feel like I'm making progress again.  I was kind of struggling on specifics about what kinds of items to make and how a player can interact with them meaningfully, and I think by working on a very solid non-random area, I can see how things fit together.

No comments:

Post a Comment