Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Dev Log: Horror Text Adventure #39

If you type "look" or "examine" without an object stated (or with an object stated that is neither in the room or in your hand), then you get a nice list of things you can look at.  This in a way also serves as a way to describe the room.  Currently it's just in dry list format, but I'll probably also add flavor text description later and whatnot.

I am now considering just how complicated I may want items to be.  Since so many objects in real life can be taken apart, should each individual part be a separate item?  For instance, a bed has pillows and sheets as potentially takeable items on top.  At first I was thinking that a bed is a bed, and it will have a random description like "the bed is made" or "the bed is unmade".  But what if the player wants to make the bed?  What if the player wants to take the sheets?  What if the player wants to look between the mattress and the boxspring? (Supposing the bed even has them.)

I could either decide to keep items simple, it which case I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I decide later to allow the player to do more stuff, or I could make items complex, in which case if nothing ever comes of it then I'm just doing way too much extra work for no reason.

Ultimately, I DO think I want to make the game fairly complex, so it would do well now to fix things up so items are (or can become) their parts, rather than the sum.

No comments:

Post a Comment