Friday, June 14, 2013

Dev Log: Horror Game Part 9

I've been doing more research into the best language to use. I played around in AS3 some more, but since this game would be a multiplayer game, requiring an Internet connection to meet others, as well as files stored on the PC for the player's personal randomly generated world, it would have to act more like an MMO. Using basic Flash/AS3 has the problem of not allowing files to be created onto a PC (mostly for security reasons, since an Internet app that could do that could easily install malware, etc.), but after trying to look up a way around that I discovered AIR. AIR allows me to code in AS3 but additionally allows me to create files on a player's computer, and hopefully also allows me to hook that up to a server.

So far, all I've been seeing is stuff about SQL databases, which I don't quite know how to use, but this gets me a big step closer to seeing this as being feasible with a language as comfortable for me as AS3.

Using AIR also gives me the bonus of being browser independent, since it creates a standalone application. I hear mumblings that Flash will be replaced for web with HTML5 and other things, so even if browsers start to drop support for Flash, it won't matter to me. The chance of that happening anyway is for another article.

But I'm getting optimistic about this project and can see it now forming as more than just an idea and half-functioning prototype. The biggest barrier for me has always been the fear of backend development like connecting to servers and whatnot. I know I have a ton to learn about it, but it seems a little less scary now.

No comments:

Post a Comment