Friday, June 21, 2013

Dev Log: Horror Game Part 11

I did a fair bit between this post and last post--enough to have to reread the last post to see just how much!

Most of it was spent figuring out rooms. I've got a lot more to go, of course, but I've got a few basics down. Right now a room has pointers for each surrounding room, and when it's randomly generated, it throws each surrounding room type into a list, along with a randomizer keyword, and then picks from that list to determine what the new room type is. I'm sure I'll play with the odds of a new room type when I see it in action, but for now I think it's kind of a neat way to go about it.

I've also decided to give the room and player a vector of items, and the player gets a pointer to which room s/he's in. I found that once a decision was made about how they'd be handled, the coded was very simple. The hard part is mostly deciding the best approach that won't bite me down the line.

I've also started working on a "New Game" interface. I'm trying to decide whether the player character's physical description should actually be a thing in game, so if Player A looks at Player B, they'll get a description, or if players should not be limited in that way, and should describe themselves if asked. I want to try to help the player get into the game as much as possible, and it's always tricky deciding if it's best for the player to be able to customize their avatar (in this case their description) or if they should just pretend to be themselves. I also don't want the player to have a long drawn out customization process before getting in the game, at least not without a randomize button.

For now, though, I think player customization is low on my list of priorities; I want to be able to start dropping the player in a room soon and see how it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment