Saturday, September 15, 2018

Ruin of Seffala: W/U Shamans

Ruin of Seffala is a Magic: the Gathering set I've designed, particularly made for a limited environment (making cards work for a constructed setting like Modern or Standard is beyond me at this point). My hope, of course, is that this is a well-balanced set, but this is more of an exercise to prove to myself that I even can make a full-size set, complete with mechanical and story themes.

One of the earliest themes I wanted to try was white and blue witches. "Witch", however, has never been a defined creature type in Magic. Later you'll see I've invented another creature type, so I thought about what I could replace the word "witch" with, while maintaining the same flavor. I figured "shaman" might do better. Turns out there are only about six white or blue shamans (that don't also share black, red, or green), so I thought it was an under-utilized subtype in those colors. Of course, blue always has wizards, but that gave the wrong feel for me.

As I came up with cards, I pushed forward with a story theme about how the shamans of Seffala were once non-magical humans, but due to a devestating near-apocalyptic scenario, the humans became no more than mere survivors, trying to rebuild. Along came a new religion and a new prophet, and a variety of shamanic magic was discovered.

I will be posting cards in groups of about four, like so:

Drover Priest, Coddlewitch, Vitalizing Ritual, Hypnotic Shaman
Click to read bigger.
The art is atrocious, but I find it a bit creepy, which is cool. I originally was trying my hand at pencil sketches, but my art skills are just so bad I though it might be easier to make art with a mouse. So I found references and traced them out in Inkscape and came up with these abominations. But, in any case, the art can be said to be mine, and I'm sure I'll improve over time, or at least find a medium I'm better at.

In any case, here are three shamans, and three cards that care about shamans.

All of the cards are completely designed apart from flavor text and art, so as I create the art, I'll be making posts. My hope is for once a week.

Errata:

As /u/IsaoEB at /r/custommagic suggested, Drover Priest won't have the "or more" part. It will read "Whenever a Shaman enters the battlefield under your control..."

As /u/RootOfAllThings suggested, Drover Priest will be renamed Drove Elder, to avoid a flavor fail where the Priest is not a Cleric subtype.

No comments:

Post a Comment