Sunday, July 29, 2018

Where have I been??

Took a long break from FissureVerse; inspiration was drying up and it felt simple and stale. I'll be revisiting it and probably redesigning it it in a major way in the future.

In the meantime, The Mana Leek's videos reinvigorated my love of Magic: The Gathering, and I became obsessed until I had archive-binged on almost everything he's put out. Now, I've been working on my own Magic set. It's almost done--237 of an expected 252 cards have been designed. Once I've got the last few in the can, I'm going to start working on my own art skills.

One of the things that's always bugged me about working on FissureVerse is just how difficult it is to find art... that is to say, to find art with permission, which I have been careful to do since pretty early on (one mistake was made once and I'll never make it again). If I'm to find art with permission for 252 more cards, it'll take years to pop out the Magic set.

So I'm opting to start drawing. My art skills are... sub-optimal, so expect the art to be less than stellar for a while. But I hope to improve every day, and by the time I've made 252+ drawings, I should be hovering around mediocre.

So once I've finished designing the last few cards, I'll start drawing the art, and simultaneously posting here and on /r/custommagic.

After that, I may or may not overhaul FissureVerse (I'm thinking of making it more exploration-oriented rather than focused on conflict), but in any case I'll also start adding my own art (supposing I like my own artistic progress) and post updates for it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment