Monday, September 25, 2017

FissureVerse: 6 cards, 3 with new art!

First, thanks to Evgeniy Chugonov for the new art!

Flag & Deceptive
Click to see the new art... but bigger!
I always knew the term 'Flag' would be symbolic, not literal in the art. I think this works pretty well, because on its surface it looks like a beautiful image of a totem-worshipper, but looking close, you can see the bloodstain. I also chose this art for a Frenzy because I don't want Frenzies to get too dark in theme, so a Blue player, for instance, would not be too turned off by violent imagery. This one strike s a great balance. The flavor text is also fairly neutral; my first through for flavor text struck a darker tone, so I made sure to write something that was at least a little closer to the art.

For Deceptive, I got to invoke one of my favorite fairy tales, with a FissureVerse spin. Kinda pushes FissureVerse into new territory. We'll see if that idea extends or if this is a one-off.

The Collector & Android 4

My original idea for The Collector was of a shopkeeper who collected souls, or something to that effect. When I got permission to use this art, I originally considered other places for it, but ultimately I think this gives a much needed spin on this card. I also considered changing the name to Collectors, because there's multiple fliers in this art, but I also like the idea that they are a collective that considers themselves one unit. Kinda thematic. Okay, I'm stretching.

I decided to move the art from The Cracked to Android 4; Green is a tech-oriented faction so they'd be more likely to use an old busted robot. It just didn't feel right as a Red piece; certainly, Red is clever, but I don't think they'd take the time to reprogram an android for any purpose. I also made new flavor text to go with the new use.

Unkempt & Stalkers

Unkempt gets its -1 Attack stat changed to +0 to keep it in line with similar cards, like Love Potion and Coded. I also changed the flavor text ever-so-slightly to mean the opposite of what it used to...

Like Android 4 and The Cracked, I decided to move Irregularity's art to Stalkers. It fits better there; now I'm back to the tough one of finding art for the stranger name... But for Stalkers, I also shrank the flavor text. I think that perhaps since The Noise is so swift in speech (I imagine that's their public persona since they ought to be boisterous in their own crowds), they would condense common idioms to even shorter sound bites.

Man, looking at all these cards together makes me see just how outlandish and scatterbrained it all is... maybe I should've kept my old blog name after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment