Monday, September 18, 2017

FissureVerse: 6 cards

Six more cards get updated:

Holiday & Hiding
Click.
Since Holiday loses its rules text, I changed the flavor text to have less to do with it. Now it ties in more with the propaganda aspect of Solidity and less with backroom deals. What is funny, of course, is that their archenemy, Emptiness, goes second in turn order on this card, and they are the real peacemakers, if any faction can say that about themselves.

Since Locations just don't look right when there's no flavor text at all, I put off Hiding for a long time until I could come up with something. I almost wanted to quote an OK Go song...

Flesh & Shortened

I gave Flesh some flavor text to suggest that The Infinite knows that they can't be all brains. I still love how a card named “Flesh” has skeletons for art. This is the sort of card that either a Player will love and make it part of their strategy, or hate and never put it in their deck. And a player that is not Green wouldn't even have a clue how to use it right, since there is nothing like it in non-Green decks, so if they successfully converted by Reason it might become a liability.

Shortened is tough on the art, because the original image is so tall; it makes me struggle to decide where to shift the perspective, since something is always lost. This time I elected to push the image to show the bottom, so the character looks more cramped.

The Cursed & Tames

The Cursed gets completely redone, and, like Hiding, I put it off for a while because it's so tough to change. I really wanted the idea of a cursed card, but the previous special rules (the opponent gets to make a decision) were just broken, and no matter how impressive the card was in attributes, no one would ever play with it. So I gave a different spin on what 'cursed' would suggest (although it is perhaps similar to some Yellow cards like Hitchhiker), and to balance it out lowered both its Torment and Attack stats by one each.

Like similar cards, I modified Tames to make payment even. Instead of 1 Reason and +2 against Zealots, it becomes 2 Reason, -1 against Devotees, +1 against Zealots. Unfortunately I think it loses a little of the beautiful simplicity of the old text, which I think is needed on a card like this, but you gotta do what you gotta do for balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment