Thursday, October 12, 2017

FissureVerse: 6 cards, 4 with new art!

First, thanks to Irbisty for the new art!

Sewerlife & The Awoken
Click to see bigger versions!
I couldn't come up with a short and pithy piece of flavor text to explain the concept of Sewerlife, so I opted to not put anything at all. I think this is the kind of card that seems all negative on the surface, but can be part of an interesting strategy, where you might intentionally lower your Endurance stat so that you'll never be converted by Torment, but rather Killed more often as a result, causing Locations to be flipped, and causing people to fear trying to convert you by Torment.

I decided to flip the colors of The Awoken and Dreamers for thematic reasons (also working right because Dreamscape is a Blue Location), but for now, the attributes remain the same. I like to think that The Infinite would be against Frenzies on philosophical principle—though, surely, a player can't win without using a few. But the attributes are good enough on this card that it's great for defense almost no matter what.

Dustchildren & Medical Frigate

I considered some pun for flavor text for Dustchildren, something about sweeping out the dust, but I think the card is meant to be more serious than that, and I didn't want to ruin the mood of it. So instead, the special rules are all you get for it, which display that theme without being too obvious. I might revisit the card later and add some flavor text, but sometimes I like the stony silence and the glare of the characters in the art.

Medical Frigate is one of those cards where thematically it makes sense that if the opponent crusader would be killed, it isn't, since the Medical Frigate saves the life of the opponent Crusader in return for conversion. Given this, I think I may change other cards like Nomads so it reads “When this is Killed...”

Strangest Places & Yellow Fields

I believe the tall character in the art for Strangest Places is the central figure in the art for Dustchildren, so when I have a theme like that, I try to make the art flow right and be of the same faction. Here, however, Dustchildren is a Blue card, and Strangest Places is a Red card, so I thought perhaps I might have a quote from an opposing faction ob Strangest Places. I don't think it's necessary to make the quote by the Dustchildren themselves, just another Blue Crusader. I considered Servants of Emptiness or other simple cards (which typically represent Blue well), but I went with an attribution of Naomi, who is perhaps thematically a leader. She might be the smaller figure in the art, so it works well enough. For a further attribution, I called it a Eulogy, as though instead of verses or idioms (or quatrains) Naomi's advice always comes in the form of mourning (as does all Blue, likely).

No comments:

Post a Comment