Thursday, August 24, 2017

FissureVerse: 8 More Refreshed Cards

Eight more cards get a refresh!

Abductors and Fountain
Click to embiggen if you wanna.
Abductors gets a simple refresh. A basic, even card that likely comes out more powerful than it appears on the surface because the two powerful stats are the ones that hurt the most, and the weaker stats are the ones players (now) aim to avoid going against, since they might accidentally kill Abductors and flip a Location (bringing doom nearer).

Fountain gets its wording changed to be similar to that of Steel, and its stats get altered as well. On the surface it looks like Fountain is purely better than Steel, but I think that won't necessarily be the case, since they have different uses, and one of the big tricks of Frenzies is to make Crusaders underperform, which can cause all sorts of interesting tricks.

I should point out here, perhaps, that I make sure to put extra rules texts close to the stats bar, while I put flavor text close to the picture, whether there is both present or not. I hope it works stylistically. One reason I do this is because I want players to be able to cover card art if they want to with a Frenzy without hiding important information, but they can cover flavor text so they don't keep reading it when other stuff matters.

The Noisemaker and Of the Sea

The Noisemaker remains exactly as before. I considered the idea that this being a ship, it might do to have it be more powerful than your average crusader (particularly on the Killing front), but I also always like the 1-2-3-4-ness of it, so I'll leave it as-is for now and see how it plays. It might need something to boost it, since not being able to hide its Frenzy is (what I think is) such a drawback.

Of the Sea has had its text reworded to shrink it, which was nice because I could add a line of flavor text.

Wedding and Hysteria

Wedding also has simplified text, and I put the caveat of required Crusaders first, just like I would for any other strange requirement. I am figuring out the required number of Spikers for each Rogation, and I want it to be both thematically and mechanically relevant. Pestilence, for instance (which I changed from 4-8 to 4-7, because the eighth Spiker ends the game), is a powerful card, so it should go later, but thematically it is also a godly act, while Wedding is a human act, and it's more of a way to allow Players to not get swamped by Crusades, so this would be especially useful early game.

Hysteria gets a simple refresh with no significant changes. I think the new card layouts flatter the art a lot more, and this one I think looks especially good.


Locations have a slight alteration: like the title bar, the bottom black area made for flavor text is editable, in that it can be moved slightly up or down to accommodate more text or more picture. This fixed an issue on previous cards with a bit of empty space, and gave room for me to fit the Trail of Emptiness flavor text in three lines without needing to shrink it, rendering the text nearly unreadable.

I have also decided, for now, to eliminate special rules on Location cards. This is definitely necessary for Locations where Players could get stuck there, like Holiday, given that a Crusader needs to die to flip the Location. Some cards like Forsaken, which simply gave all Crusaders +1 Torment, were fairly harmless as far as consequences go, so perhaps in the future I might apply that kind of special rule back. I'm thinking Spikers' special rules (if they have any) will likely be more devastating, though it might be fun to have little things like Forsaken's old rules apply, as well. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment