Saturday, August 29, 2015

Flash Game Mini-Review: Dangerous Dungeons


Title Screen

I waited quite a while to review this game, mainly because I don't like to give positive reviews of games I haven't beaten.  Dangerous Dungeons probably should have been an exception.

It took me ages to beat the last level, but in a good way.  Dangerous Dungeons is a frustrating, challenging pixelated puzzle platformer that would feel right at home on an eight- or sixteen-bit system.  Not only does it evoke the graphics of that era, but the challenge, gameplay, and even music, as well.

It's a simple game, in terms of story: get the loot in the dangerous dungeons.  It's also a simple game in terms of controls: left, right, and Z to jump.

But using just those simple mechanics, it really shines in the level design.  Every level is unique, and the difficulty ramps up perfectly.  My only real complaint is that there aren't enough levels--there's 34, but it seems to go by too quick.  I very much hope for a sequel that is simply more of the same.

Big scary level
Simple, yet challenging.
There's a Story Mode and a Time Attack Mode, which are fairly self-explanatory.  You have unlimited lives and unlimited time in both, but there are achievements for beating Time Attack in ten or fewer lives, and in thirty minutes or less.  Regular Story Mode was so brutal, I don't think I'll ever be able to beat Time Attack.  You can also enable checkpoints if you like, though I never tried; I assume it's for the levels that are longer than a single screen, like the four boss battles or the three secret levels.

As a minor complaint, it would have been nicer to have the Level Select be a menu or something other than a long corridor.  While it's nice to see your progress in a straight line, I took so many sessions to beat the last level, I got sick of running a mile before trying again.

But overall, Dangerous Dungeons is a thorough challenge for those who enjoy the likes of old school platformers and want a taste of new nostalgia.

You can play Dangerous Dungeons here.

Update: Dangerous Christmas is an ice-themed level pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment