Friday, February 3, 2012

Monthly Update


Well, I made one video and I gave a bunch of first impressions reviews, so I suppose I kept half of my new year's resolutions.  The only thing I haven't done is regular January Engine updates.  Imagine that: no January Engine in January! Har har har.

Thanks, folks; I'll be here all week.
Actually, I've been working on it, but there is nothing to report in terms of new features or a demo.  What I've been doing instead is recoding portions of it, both to clean it up, and also to allow the functionality for a user to create their own cards.  I've already had the level layouts made this way, but it's much tougher to make the battle system as user-friendly.

I think I may end up redesigning the battle system.  It will still be card-based, but I think I may change it from the RPG 1-to-1 to something more akin to a collectible card game like Magic: The Gathering or Yu-Gi-Oh!, so as to give it more depth.

If I do end up doing this, I'll have to recode the battle system again, so I may put it off for a little while to get other pieces working, and so I can post something where the end product has actually changed, rather than just the code.

As for other features:

I've still got a bunch of games to give first impressions of, but I'm kind of hunting around until I can find one that I actually enjoy (all of my first impressions have been downers so far, so I want to post at least one positive review so I don't seem like a grumpy old fogey).

As far as videos go, I'll try to get out another one this month.  If I do a video on the second level of DOOM, it'll necessarily be longer than the first.  Hopefully I'll also improve my editing, so the video may take more time to make than the first.

Lastly, The Glitchers story may or may not be a fluke, although I am considering adding more fiction to the site, be in short stories or more game scripts.  Carnival is feelin' awful lonely.  Either way, they'll naturally be game related.

Well, about as much as this is.

No comments:

Post a Comment