Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Dev Log: The Vortex #34 - New Location Artwork & Flavor

I began changing up the placeholder art to get more in line with the feel I'm going for with this game.  I'll be altering the mechanics in a big way soon, so the game text on these cards is still likely to change, but I think the addition of flavor text helps individualize the colors' personalities, motivations, philosophies, and beliefs.  I'll be doing the same with Rogations, Frenzies, and Devotee cards.

I also changed the background of Locations cards so when the card is flipped, the color of the player who goes first is more obvious.  The color that goes first in that Location is most at home there, or in some other way knows how to best utilize it, or at least knows how to deal with the present obstacles and oddities of the location.

I also made sure to give proper credit for each placeholder image.  I tried to use real names when possible, but of course sometimes all that's available is an internet handle.

Anyway, here they are, in semi-random order:

The Crystalline Tower, Yellow Fields, Dimmension Zed, & Earth
Click each set of cards to enlarge so you can read them.
Each of these four are good representations of each color.  Green (The Infinite) is rational and scientific, so The Crystalline Tower is a bit of a sci-fi version of an ivory tower.  Yellow (Solidity) is very strategic, and have pretty much taken control of the universe with their tactics.  Since Yellow is the warmongering king of the universe, Blue (Emptiness) is their rebel counterparts, passive as they can be, given their situation.  Red (The Noise) is barbaric, taking joy in killing.

These cards are also representative of the art style I'm going for.  The Crystalline Tower shows off the sci-fi elements; Yellow Fields is an example of the almost abstract landscapes; Dimension Zed is surrealist fantasy; and Earth is a... well, down-to-earth art style showing more realistic scenes.

Treetomb, Cremation, Trail of Emptiness, Brim of Despair

You can see here the differing philosophies of the opposite factions.  In Treetomb, Green wants to use the dead for study, to prove their religion.  In Cremation, Red postures that their religion is correct unequivocally, and if you don't believe them, you soon will, when you get to the other side of life.

My attempt for Trail of Emptiness was to really give Blue a peaceful native feel, and I hope with this card you can imagine a gentle people who live one day at a time, communing with nature, and trying to mind their own in the quieter corners of the universe.

The flavor text of Brim of Despair can be taken on multiple levels.  Of course it's a joke of a quote, but it's also part of Yellow's beliefs--they are torturers and inquisitors who forcibly convert others to their way.  So if you die as they torture you, that's fine with them, because you wouldn't have the fortitude to understand their religion anyway.

Fortress of Noise, Observatory of the Infinite, Denial, Blue Blazes

I love Fortress of Noise. That is all.

Observatory of the Infinite helps to show not only Green's quest for knowledge and understanding, but also their hubris in their attempts to get it.

Denial is an interesting one, and it took me a while to find both a great picture and come up with a good quote to go with it.  It's a bit of a stretch, but when I came up with 'Denial' as a location name, I knew I had to use it.  As far as the flavor text goes... I think there's a ring of truth in almost everything Yellow says, as dastardly as they are.

As for Blue Blazes... I had a lot more context for that quote, and I struggled a fair bit trying to articulate exactly what it means in the space of a little box on a card, but I kinda think it ultimately works when it's more of a mystery.  The meaning is for me to know and you to ponder out.

Path of the Righteous, Vista of the Infinite, Strangest Places, Monument of Solidity

My original placeholder picture for Path of the Righteous was an actual path, but when you use enough Google Fu eventually you hit upon really cool combinations.  This card shows you the humble conviction of Blue, with a metaphor of the adversity they have to face.

Vista of the Infinite is a bit of the opposite of Observatory of the Infinite in terms of obtaining knowledge and truth. Ironically I think Green perhaps makes the most inaccurate quotes of all the colors.  They're a bit annoying, like Vulcans.

Strangest Places is blank intentionally.  Each color has one Location that leaves them speechless.  Here, for Red, it's the discovery that books are useful for something, in this surrealistic world.  They aren't big readers.

I had a hard time finding a good piece of art for Monument of Solidity, because I tried to find big rock statues or palaces carved in the side of mountains.  The point of the Monument is to show how strong Yellow is, and I figured a ginormous rock sculpture would be the ticket.  But no matter what I found, it always looked a bit flimsy.  Just something wasn't sitting right about it, and I was getting very frustrated because it was the last card I found art for.   The original art was that giant statue of Genghis Khan on a horse, which I think was the original inspiration for the card in the first place; but I couldn't get a war horse statue picture to save my life.  Eventually I settled on the city you see, which works in a much different way that my original intention, but it helped to drive the flavor text in a new direction.  Sometimes inspiration comes out of left field, but still works well.

Forsaken, Cave of the Weeping, Grime, Station Station

Red is always looking for people to join their cause.  They say "Join us," and if you don't, they'll just kill you.  Forsaken is one of the worlds where they go to pick up recruits.  Naturally, The Prison World is run by Yellow, like all big government structures, and it's full of people (not all criminals) eager to join another cause.  This is definitely a card I could write a story about all on its own.

Cave of the Weeping is Blue's "silent card".  This was the first card that I decided would have no text.  I kept trying to come up with something to say that would capture the feeling of being inside the Cave of the Weeping, but ultimately staying silent would be the most respectful thing a follower of Emptiness would do.  At first I wanted this one to be the only blank card, and I think its impact might get diminished a little by the other blank cards, like the joke Strangest Places card, but I suppose as long as you're in a serious mood when you view this card it works out well enough.

Grime is a planet under the iron thumb of Yellow, of course.  Yellow ultimately wants power, and wants to use their subjects to stay in power.  They want the population of Grime to work hard for their food, or die trying.  This is another one I think could be its own story.  I do particularly like cards that really help fill out the universe like this one.

...And Station Station is the opposite of those completely.  I considered a different bit of flavor text, but anything different would have changed the initial joke of the thing.  Station.

Limbo Rock, Paradise, Dreamscape, Battlefield

The initial picture for Limbo Rock was Sisyphus rolling the rock up the hill, which is exactly what it's meant to be.  But I didn't want to have a direct visual for the reference of the title; unfortunately there's not too much in the way of paintings of rocks that captures that feeling without seeing Sisyphus himself.  Oh well.  It's better to have the card appear deeper by hiding the inspiration a few notches down the chain.  Also, I kinda like what I did for flavor text, if I do say so myself.

Paradise, The Ice World is that old joke about Greenland.  But it's the kind of place Green would be bound to visit because, being so logical, they wouldn't want Frenzies to affect them and get in the way of their thoughts.  I tried my best with each Location to have game text that made sense for the place (for the cards that have game text, anyway).

Dreamscape has the first quote that is probably copyrighted, so I felt the need to add the writers on the side for that one.  I called it an "Ancient Lullaby" in the Vortex, but it's actually some of the lyrics to Barenaked Ladies' "When You Dream".  I used that once before in a short story.  I guess that's just one of those songs that really sticks with me.

And if you wanted a card that is polar opposite to Dreamscape or any of the others for that matter, Battlefield is it.  Battlefield shows how brutal Red really is, and if there is one faction that could really challenge Yellow for control, it would be Red.  Of course, they're a bit more on the side of anarchy than totalitarianism, so Yellow is pretty safe in its position as rulers of the universe, and Red is mostly a pest.

Carnival, Excursion, Cosmic Disruption, Haven

Carnival was a tough one, to try to find the right (short) quote to capture how flippant Red is about life.  Carnival, in this case, is not just a travelling circus, but a psychotic planet with that theme.  For some reason, dark carnivals always crop up in my work.

If Excursion were a Blue card, it would probably fit right in without explanation.  But it takes on a different meaning when it's Green.  To me (as if I'm interpreting Green like I didn't come up with it), Green is basically saying "If you make discoveries and gain knowledge in new places, others will be interested and come to you."

Cosmic Disruption shows that even if Yellow considers itself the king of the universe, the universe is still bigger than Yellow.  The universe has a mind of its own, which is a big part of how The Vortex works.  You pop from place to place in your Crusades because The Vortex decides it ("decides" being open to debate, depending on your opinions of the universe's sentience).

The joke of Haven is that even though it is the real paradise (unlike the other Location with that name), it's just about impossible to find.  The "Elder Proverb" is a quote from one of my dad's short stories, and I don't know if he got it from somewhere else.

Abyss of Emptiness, Capitalia, War Machines, Bottom of the Universe

Abyss of Emptiness was another one, like Blue Blazes, where I was going to try to give the flavor text more context and resolve the ambiguity of it, but the point of half of what Blue says is to be ambiguous.  So, you figure it out.

Capitalia is, as the name implies, the capital planet of Yellow.  It is their most populous, and they rule with absolute authority.  Another card I've spent too much time imagining the stories of.

War Machines originally had an awesome piece of art, but I had a hard time finding the credit for it, so I had to move on and grab something else.  This is the Trojan Horse, and it definitely gives this card a different feel.  Now, Green and Red are bitter enemies, and you would expect a card called War Machines to be a Red card.  The original implication was that Green is smart enough to use technology for war when they must.  But with the Trojan Horse image, it becomes something different entirely.  The flavor text came naturally the moment I saw the picture.

The original picture for Bottom of the Universe was the Mos Eisley Cantina from Star Wars, which is the exact image I had in my head (maybe mixed up a little with a particular Douglas Adams location).  I didn't think I'd ever find a picture that captured such a "wretched hive of scum and villainy"... but then I did.  This picture is great: an alien bar fight with a sixties Star Trek fashion sense.  Perfect.  As far as the flavor text... well, I assume that even if you didn't understand the quote on Station Station, you'll certainly get the quote of this.  Of course, I took it as more of a threat than a helping hand in this instance, as Red would say such a thing and carry out the results of the other's decision, no matter which they choose.

Gate of Influence, Eclipse, With the Fishes, The Signpost

I feel like Gate of Influence is both too obvious to explain and too difficult to explain.  So I won't.  You get it, right?

Eclipse has the only photo of the bunch, while the rest are paintings or other forms of artwork.  I knew that's exactly what I wanted it to look like from the beginning, and the previous placeholder art is near identical (I just couldn't find the exact same picture again with a credit).  As far as the flavor text goes, this is a bit out of character for Green, but the rather lengthy quote I had was hard to phrase and would never fit with the game text.  So I just opted for another joke piece of text.  Not one of my proudest moments.

With the Fishes:  if you wanted Red to seem less like barbarians and more like mafia, this is your ticket.

The first concept for The Signpost was a sign floating is space, which I originally got burned into my head from the Jetsons at age eight.  But The Signpost got this cool image mainly because it was hard to find a picture of an actual signpost without words on it, or at least words I could justify.  So instead, The Signpost became a being that might verbally direct you where you wanted to go.  Of course, it's probably one of those annoying beings that always twists your words and sends you off in the wrong direction.  But as far as the flavor text goes, it's another one of those cool little Blue sayings.  They're just full of mysterious-sounding life lessons, aren't they?

Trenches of Otherworldly Sorrows, Mirage, Red Skies, Aetherworld

Now Trenches of Otherworldly Sorrows is just downright creepy.  As if trench warfare weren't enough, I can only imagine that quote from Yellow as being from a torturer to a victim.  Geez these guys are sadistic.

Green has quite the respect for the Infinite, especially in regards to things they haven't yet figured out.  Mirage is one of those things.  They study The Desert Castle, but it is a mystery that has not yet been solved, and many have gotten a little too uncomfortable with it.  I imagine a Green philosopher taking someone to Mirage and giving this warning before they reach it.

Red doesn't say much; they aren't a particularly verbose bunch.  Usually when they do speak, it's a threat hidden behind humor.  This time, in Red Skies, there is no humor present.  You've probably made someone very, very mad to elicit that statement.

The quote of Aetherworld is just the opposite; it's short as well, but rather than getting your hackles up and trying to put you on edge, Blue tries to calm you down with as few words as possible.

Plains of Filth, A Child's Imagination, Holiday, Paradox

Earlier, with Grime, Yellow tries to keep the population down.  At Plains of Filth, Red uses the poor and downtrodden as a recruitment tool, quite possibly in the, er, "lighter" context of the phrase "Come with me if you want to live."  This is also a similar place to The Prison World in Red's eyes, though Plains of Filth is not so much under Yellow's control.

Getting rather surreal in this Green one, you can see that The Vortex doesn't just drop you off in macro locations within the universe, but also occasionally in the inner spaces.  As far as the flavor text goes, it's a bit like Yellow's Monument of Solidity quote, in that they aren't quite aware of just how ironic they're being.

Holiday shows that Yellow isn't all bad.  Ha.

Paradox is digging yet deeper into the surreal pool.  I was certainly never satisfied with the original placeholder art, but finding a replacement for a place called Paradox when I don't have much of a visual in my head is tough.  I tried some Escher first, of course, then Dali, but nothing is quite what I'm going for... probably because I don't know what I'm going for.  The visual is a bit of a stretch here, but imagine who those three characters in the scene are, and compare it to the flavor text and the game text, and it may make some sense.

Waterfall, House of Solidity, Green Pastures, Amphitheater of Noise

Waterfall is yet another bit of Blue philosophy.  This one is certainly easier to understand than others.  Give it a shot.

House of Solidity is Yellow's "silent card".  Nothing could be said to make the House any more foreboding than it is.  If you talked in the House, you'd probably have your tongue cut out.

Green Pastures is Green's "silent card".  In this case... I just ran out of things to say.  I think this is a similar instance, like Vista of the Infinite, where Green would put down the notebook of calculations and just enjoy the beautiful view.  And all that can be said in that regard was already said on Vista of the Infinite, so there's no need for a repeat.

If the barbarian and mafia takes on Red aren't your style, Amphitheatre of Noise has you covered with a more metal feel.  I kept looking for painting of amphitheatres, coliseums, arenas, and so on, and nothing was ever quite what I wanted.  In desperation I randomly typed "rock concert", and I realized I was trying to get a little too historical before, and this was more along the lines of what I was trying to capture with the card.  As far as the flavor text goes, of course it's a morbid joke.  That's Red for you.

...And there is all forty-eight Location Cards.  I'll provide a PDF of them once I've altered the mechanics a bit, mangled the instructions, and redone all the other sets of cards in the game.  Consider this the beginning of The Vortex, Alpha Version 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment