Friday, July 12, 2013

Dev Log: Horror Text Adventure #14

This week I spent taking care of runtime errors (trace is my best friend), and trying to get new text to show up.  I've got it working for the top-left box, which says what rooms are in different directions.

Next is to get it to work for the top-center box which will be a bit more complicated.  That box isn't static, and doesn't change simply because you move from room to room.  It changes basically when you do anything at all; every command should change that box.  For now, my goal is to get a room and item description to show up there, so the player can see their surroundings.

I'm also trying to figure out the best way to tackle doors.  I kind of want the world to know what room is next to it, even if there's no door directly connecting it, that way if something happens in the next room, like a loud noise, the player will know.

For now, all that I have is a doubly-linked list of pointers in each direction, but there is no way of distinguishing between two rooms connected by a wall or a threshold.  Then, I'll also need to figure out how to make a door that starts locked, and have the world generation be smart enough to not put the key on the wrong side of the door.  But that will come later, once I've figured out door basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment