Friday, May 11, 2012

Development Log: Facebook Timeline Adventure #2


I've decided it would be best to stop and restart the Facebook Timeline Adventure.

One of three programs I've been using to keep track of it.
I had been just making it up as I went along, with just one random encounter after another.  Since I don't have a solid plan for it, it gets confusing fast.  I had a few ideas that sprang to mind as I worked on it, which caused me to rethink how I even began the game.

If I kept improvising, eventually I'd paint myself into a corner or expand the choice tree outward far too much, making the whole project unwieldy and difficult to write for.

So what I'll be doing with it instead is working on it off Facebook for a time, getting an outline working and a better idea of where I want to go with it.

Then I'll make a flowchart of the entire thing, based on my outline, and finally I'll write the pages and pop them into Facebook.  What is already there will probably be deleted, so I may just create a completely different story altogether.

If that plan works right, I'll be able to create a more interesting and compelling game.

I hope to keep the RPG aspects of it simple to make it more of an RPG/Choose-Your-Own-Adventure hybrid, that works as more of a parody of both games.

If you have any ideas for what you'd like to read, leave a comment.  I may implement suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. You may find the choose your own adventure/RPG hybrid "Renegade Wizard" a good reference for your own idea: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTTCMNdDTA&feature=g-user-u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool, Glen. I'm going for something like that, but perhaps still a little simpler, so you don't need to keep track of quite so much, especially considering it's on Facebook rather than in a book-book.

    ReplyDelete