Friday, January 20, 2012

3rd Time's a Charm: DC Universe Online


Even after giving my first impressions of DC Universe Online, I continue to play it, indicating that it's either addicting or good.  I think it's both.

When I finished my previous review, I said it had potential.

Now, I'm no longer on the fence, and I think it's lived up to that potential.  It just took a long time to get there.

Since my last review was mostly a player's initial reactions, I'd like to take another stab at the game, this time with a designer's scalpel.

The Great

Basic Combat is very, very well done.  They took the fluid controls of a console (considering this is also a PS3 title, it makes sense) and adapted it to the uber-restricting keyboard-and-mouse.  Well, the mouse.

Given that a mouse has at least two buttons, both were used, and both do different things when tapped or held, effectively giving the mouse four buttons, which opens the door to controller-style combos.  These combos get unlocked as you level up, and you usually have options to pick from.

After testing out a few of the combat styles, I found one that suited me.  This does not limit me to the one style, however; after reaching a certain level, the other styles become unlocked, and I can freely switch between weapons of various categories, as long as I have used a skill point to purchase the combat set.

There seem to be fewer kinds of superpower sets, but there is enough variety in them that I found two sets that I enjoyed.  Your choice of superpowers determines your general role (a class in other RPGs), such as tank or healer.

No matter what role you choose, goofy costumes are mandatory.
Superpowers similarly unlock as you level up, also allowing you to customize which powers you use, as well as subdividing them into two more categories, effectively doubling the number of superpowers you have to work with.  So despite having fewer top-level categories of superpowers as combat skills, they come out to about the same.

Mission designs are excellent; they don't feel repetitive in the least, and they go far, far beyond fetch quests and extermination.  The missions are one of the strongest points of the game.

Combine the mission ingenuity with the delightful combat, and you've got a formula that every other MMORPG should be mercilessly trying to copy.

Customization is great, keeping an asterisk for the fact that it's a superhero palette.  However, with enough creativity, a player can make a lot more than it appears at first glance (and with what I see in game, players aren't taking advantage of the variety there really is).

The Meh

While the following aspects aren't terrible, they could be improved, and quite easily.


For instance: maybe it's just my keyboard, but whenever I intend to press shift, I accidentally press Ctrl.  Ctrl serves to collect floating icons such as money and xp, while Shift is used to break out of effects such as stun.

In combat, breaking out of effects is a far more important thing to do, and pressing the wrong button once or twice before finding the right one can turn into a lot of extra damage.

Swapping the buttons or offering another option to break out of effects, such as Q, would easily fix this problem.  That, or I suppose I should get a new keyboard.

The other Meh problem is that, to swap from Gotham to Metropolis, you have to run through the Watchtower (or whatever the villain equivalent is, I assume), which is a bit of a maze.  A quick flip would be much nicer.

I understand that you may have to be in a police station or nightclub to do it, but beyond that, it should not require spending ten extra minutes in the Watchtower to get there.

From the Watchtower, you can not only switch between Gotham and Metropolis, but also switch between any police station anywhere, which is very nice, because the walk from the main part of Metropolis to Little Bohemia is a doozy, especially since I have found the only enjoyable method of travel is Acrobatics.

However, having the option to be able to teleport between any police station from each police station, without having to jump to the Watchtower first, would be much more welcome option.

The Awful

The worst sin DC Universe Online commits is the double-crime of having to wait when you die, and then flee the scene.  One is bad enough, but two makes me think the Joker designed this.

You always have to wait, but I've discovered fleeing doesn't always happen--exactly once I have been presented with a second option to get up where I stand, but I have no idea what triggered it.

Making the option always available is the easiest fix in the world, since the programming is already in place to have it; just take out the if statement and you're golden.

There are times when you may want to flee, such as to repair your stuff before jumping back into battle (a common feature of MMORPGs which also should be completely reexamined), but to be forced to flee takes control out of the players hands.

As for waiting, I have no idea why this exists.  If I can't get up immediately, I should be given the option to send a strongly worded email to the designers while I wait.

The only other major problem with the game is that you're really led by the nose with the main mission line.

Now, every once in a while you can find a thug trying to break into a door, and you can beat him up, and this is completely unrelated to anything else happening in the game; you just stumbled upon a crime.

That is what more of the game should be about.  What I find is that I'm doing a lot of the missions simply because they're on my list to accomplish; and despite what I said earlier about how good the missions themselves are, the structure of acquiring the missions creates an addictive loop, and after a while I start to wonder when I'll finish them all so I can wander the city freely.

The addictive loop takes what is great and makes it a grind.  Every major MMORPG has this same problem, and it is a concept that I simply despise.  I would continue to play this game even if it weren't addictive because it's enjoyable to play, but the enjoyment disappears as the addiction takes over, and then I'm playing the game for the wrong reasons.

Really, a bit of mission restructuring would tremendously help; just make it so you have to go out and explore the city to find missions, rather than be handed missions in a police station.

So as long as you take a break from this game every mission or two, and don't let the addiction take over, it's a great game.  And don't die.

No comments:

Post a Comment