Friday, November 25, 2011

Development Log: DOOM Mods


I've always enjoyed making DOOM levels since I first discovered the Doom Construction Kit in Middle School.  I think it was perhaps my first foray into designing and creating actual levels into a computer; before then, I drew level designs on large pieces of paper for a Sonic the Hedgehog sequel.

Probably something where Tails got to be the main character.
DCK was immensely enjoyable, and if anything cemented my desire to be a game designer, that was probably it.  I designed levels small and large, as well as episode-long level sets.

Unfortunately, they have all been lost to time.  When DCK stopped being compatible with later computers, I thought my DOOM design days were over.

It took all the way to the end of college before I decided to look for DCK again, and found a similar program called Doom Builder 2.  Now, to keep my level design sensibilities sharp, I've decided to design DOOM levels again.

Why DOOM?  Why not Unreal or Portal?  Although I could design levels for those, I find the simplicity and restrictions of the older game to be more enjoyable challenges.  I like the idea of trying to create a story out of a completely non-story-driven game, especially by storytelling through level design and gameplay.

My basic philosophy is that the player should generally be able to understand why everything in the level exists.  If they can't, it's not a particularly well-designed level.

Despite the amount of praise I give DOOM in my deconstruction of it, and despite the fact that the levels are awesome gameplay-wise, the buildings simply don't make architectural sense.  I have yet to understand how the Hangar looks like a hangar.

Helicopters ain't gonna land in that muck.
Since I started to get back into the groove of designing DOOM levels at the tail end of college, I've been designing some one-shots and some full-episode mods on and off when I have some free time.

So every once in a while I'll pop a dev log on Scattergamed that discusses a level I've completed, and I'll have it available to download.  Of course, it's not a flash game, so you'll need to have DOOM to run it.  But I'll also try to have plenty of screenshots and possibly video walkthroughs if you can't.

These won't replace the January Engine dev logs, and the January Engine will still be my top priority, but I thought it would be a good chance to show some of my level design through these mods just as I show my programming and gameplay design through the January Engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment