Wednesday, November 1, 2017

FissureVerse: four cards, two with new art

Thanks to Dario Marzadori for the new art! You can check out his art on Facebook, ArtStation, DeviantArt, and Instagram.

War Machine & Plains of Filth
Click to see bigger.
Now War Machines is more of a location than a ship (perhaps a place where obsolete technology has been tossed), so that little quirk of the card has been fixed. Using this art, I came up with different flavor text, but combine it with the turn order (red going directly after green), shows that green thinks a little too much of their strategy.

I always forget Plains of Filth is a Red location, because Grime is a Yellow location and they are similar in my head. However, I think I like the idea that with this card, Earth, and Bottom of the Universe, Red is more the underground ruler, like the mob bosses and the slumlords. Solidity might take hold of the government, and they might drag populations down like Earthlings and The Derelict, but Earth and Plains of Filth (where I've decided The Derelict are likely from, not Grime), become the property of Red by virtue of Solidity dragging their populations down too far. It's a neat story dynamic, I think. Yellow focuses on Blue as its arch-enemy, paying little heed to Red or Green, letting Red take hold of the downtrodden, and Green take hold of the elites. The flavor text is a bit on the nose in describing that dynamic here, and I may change it, but perhaps Red doesn't care about letting it be known, because Yellow has their eyes elsewhere, and Red can hide in plain sight (no pun intended).


At first I was a little bummed that the head of the statue would get cut off by the name “Paradise, the Ice World.” Then I came up with the brilliant idea of mirroring the image (sorry Gij for the modification) and... it still didn't work. Then I realized: “Why have 'The Ice World' at all? Seems obvious by the picture...” And now, it works! I also changed the flavor text to get away from the originally concept as a fake vacation destination. Now it's more of a pilgrimage for Green.

I decided to change the subtitle of Eclipse from The Infectious Nebula to The Blinding Nebula, since it's lost its special rules. I had loved the original name but it never quite went for a Green location. This makes things a little more in tune. Not 100% happy with it, but 100% better than it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment